43 km south of Kuruman (Daniëlskuil/Kimberley Road) on the farm "Wonderwerk". P O Box 863, Kuruman, 8460, Tel (053) 384 0680 / 0828327226
Admission fee payable - Please book before visiting
Facilities: Ablution block, Camping site, Farm stall, Barbecue facilities, Information and exhibition centre, Chalet (fully equipped for self-catering) accommodates 4 people.
Archaeological research at this massive cave site has revealed an immensely long record of human and environmental history spanning hundreds of thousands of years. The cave and its surroundings, form a conservation area with several features distinctive of the Kuruman Hills. The site is open to the public and includes an interpretative centre adjacent to the cave. The turn-off to Wonderwerk Cave is well sign-posted about 45 km from Kuruman along the Kuruman-Daniëlskuil road, with the last few hundred meters on gravel road. Access to the site is easy. Keys and the visitors’ book at the farmhouse - where a token access fee is payable. Accommodation and refreshments are available by arrangement.
Wonderwerk Cave is an ancient solution cavity, exposed at one end by hillside erosion, and running horizontally for 139 m into the base of a low conical foothill on the eastern flank of the Kuruman Hills. Its geological context is stratified dolomitic limestone of the 2,3 billion year-old Ghaap Plateau dolomite formation. Permanent water sources in the area are presently limited to a seep some 5 kilometre to the south on Gakorosa Hill and a large sinkhole known as Boesmansgat, about 12 kilometre away.
Research revealed that bedrock in the front portion of the cave is overlaid by four meters of deposits comprising of fairly horizontal layers of wind-blown dust with a variable admixture of roof-slabs.
On the farm Mount Carmel 55 km south of Kuruman (on the road to Daniëlskuil and Kimberley).
Tel: (053) 384 0564
Mount Carmel Safaris is a warm, friendly guest farm, where the trophy hunter has the opportunity to hunt some fine game. The area is legendary for its diverse ecological systems and intriguing geological structures. It is well known for the unique sinkhole, Boesmansgat, to be found on the farm. Many world records in cave diving have been set up in this exceptional sinkhole.
Upon arrival for the first time visitors are impressed by the spectacular sight of the sinkhole from approximately 70 metre above. The top of the sinkhole is about 100 metre in diameter. From the top the water appears to be green and not very diveable, but when one reaches the water’s edge, the water turns to be crystal clear under the canopy of green weed. The sinkhole is potentially dangerous and should only be dived by experienced divers with some caving and sinkhole experience.
Aquatic cave amphipods and other interesting creatures are found both in and out of the water. In earlier days, the small caves among the tumbled rocks in the walls of the sinkhole afforded protection to a tribe of San as well as wild animals while the lake provided drinking water during the dry winter months.
Old police station completed in 1928 by AM Olivier of Vryburg. Indigenous dolomite stone utilized because of the difficulty to get building material.
Natural sinkhole that served, according to tradition, as a jail during Griqua reign. There is no evidence that the 5m deep pit was really used as a prison. Many stories are told about the venomous snakes that lived in the pit, especially the dark green one with serrated back and soft mane.Prisoners were let down into the pit with a rope. Food and water were sent down daily for the duration of their captivity.
The prisoner was given a short walking stick or “kierie” to defend himself. Buckets full of dead snakes were said to be cleaned out of the pit every day. Some say that nobody left the pit alive. Others say that anybody who survived their first 24 hours in the pit was set free.
During the Anglo Boer War (1899-1902) most of the farmers in the Daniëlskuil area joined the rebel forces. British High Commissioner, Sir Alfred Milner, realized the danger these rebels posed for the western flank of the British troops. In May 1900 he sent a task force under command of Sir Charles Warren to clean Griqualand West of rebels. This force occupied Daniëlskuil on 8 June 1900. Most of the rebels surrendered. Those who didn’t were tried for treason. On 16 June 1900, some English soldiers suspected that the Vermeulen family were hiding rebels and fired on their house. The mother and son fled to safety, but young Martha Vermeulen was shot to death in her parents’ home. This incident led to a lot of bitterness in the community.
|Dutch Reformed Church
Both buildings are national monuments. At first the congregation was served by ds JW Meyer, who visited four times a year from Griquatown. In 1894, however the corner stone for an own church was laid. It was completed in 1996. The congregation of Daniëlskuil became independent in 1913. A new church building was completed in 1924, built as the older one, with local dolomite.
|Old Town Hall
The old town hall was completed in 1933 as part of a job-creating project. Residents were extremely impoverished at that stage, due to an economic depression and drought. The town management made an agreement with the Department of Labour to contribute on an equal basis to the cost of the building, if the project was used for job creation.
|Kardoefie Pre-Primary School
The first school building was completed in 1913. Local dolomite was used. Today the building is utilized by Kardoefie Pre-primary School.
Kgatelopele Municipality provides services to Daniëlskuil and, since the demarcation process in 2000, also to the mining village of Lime Acres.
During the Anglo Boer War (1899-1902) the English forces built a system of trenches around Daniëlskuil, connecting key points like fountains. A force of 500 Boers attacked the English on 5 January 1901 but lost the battle due to the strategic advantage these trenches gave to the English forces. Capt George Callum, who commanded the Duke of Edenburg’s Own Volunteer Rifles (DEOVR) at Daniëlskuil, received the Distinguished Service Order for his bravery and leadership. The English also built five fortresses out of masonry dry stone – one of which can be seen on fortkoppie.
Various routes with game and camp with braai facilities at Fortkoppie.
Since 1974 Idwala Limes has been mining the lime deposits dating back 200 million years. Five million ton of stone mined annually. The town has successfully countered the depopulation of the countryside thanks to the increased mining activity.