Postmasburg and surrounding area has been known for its mineral deposits since early days. The presence of San (Bushman) is evident in the rock-art at Beeshoek that dates from as long as 120 000 years ago. The Tswana and Korana traveled to “Blinkklip” (shining rock) as the town was first known, to obtain “sibilo” – specularite and hematite mined primitively. This substance was mixed with animal fat to form a cosmetic that was applied to the skin for a shiny, red look. Since Casper Venter and his assistant, found the first diamond on the town commonage in 1918, several different mines have come and gone. But up to this day mining has played an important role in the economy of Postmasburg.
The Army Battle School of the South African National Defence Force is situated at Lohatla outside Postmasburg since the early 1980’s. This has given the town’s economy a considerable boost.
Since 2000 Postmasburg is the home to the Tsantsebane Municipality that also supplies services to Olifantshoek. After 1800 the Cape government sent various parties to scout the area, where the Griqua has settled in the mean time. The Griqua leader Willem Visser was given Blinkklip as a home by his captain, Andries Waterboer, and it became a permanent Griqua outpost.
After 1833 the London Mission Society started a mission station at Blinkklip. Residents were mainly involved in agriculture.
The British government took over Griqualand West in 1871 and on 14 April 1892 the name of the town was changed to Postmasburg. This happened on request of members of the Reformed Church (Doppers) in honour of the first minister of their church, Dirk Postma. The town was officially founded in 1893 and became a municipality in 1936.
Situated on the Cape plateau 1 300m above sea level, 200km west-northwest of Kimberley, 240km east-northeast of Upington.
325mm rain per year in summer and autumn
Population: 34 000 (2000)
Contact: Green Kalahari Tourism 054 337 2826 Tsantsebane Municipality 053 313 0343