|Postma Bust and and memorial for fallen soldiers
On 11 November 1984 a bust of Dirk Postma, after whom the town was named, was unveiled. The artist was the well-known sculptor Phil Minnaar of Pretoria. Postma was the first minister of the Reformed Church in South Africa. At the same occasion a memorial was unveiled for residents of Postmasburg who lost their lives during war. The names of soldiers who died during the Second World War were engraved, as well as two national service men who died during the bush war in Namibia. An annual memorial service has been held ever since in which the Army Battle School in Lohatla participates.
Since demarcation in 2000 Postmasburg and Olifantshoek are both part of the same municipality, with its offices in Postmasburg. The municipality is named after the original Tswana name for the town of Postmasburg, Tsantsebane, which means, “shining stone”.
This canon is one of twelve made available by the Department of Defense in 1949. The Postmasburg branch of the British Empire League was one of several groups that applied and was lucky to obtain one of the canons after lots were drawn. The canon was placed on the market square as a monument in remembrance of the soldiers who died during the Second World War. The names of ten fallen soldiers were engraved on a stone and placed alongside the canon. In the sixties this monument was moved to the civic center, where it can still be found.
The Johanna van der Merwe trek visited Postmasburg in November 1938, as part of the Voortrekker Centenary on its way to the north. A cairn was stacked as part of the ceremony at a site on the marsh south west of Dam Street. These stones were built into a monument which was moved to the civic center in 1966, where it can still be seen.
The Anglican Church started working in Postmasburg in 1905 when bishop GM Lawson was requested to held services in the town once every quarter. The attendance at his first service was poor, since few of the residents were English speaking. The English speaking community grew after the expansion of the mining industry. The church was inaugurated in 1957 and is known as St Gertrude’s Anglican Church.
|Postmasburg Primary School
The school moved into the stone section of the current building in 1917, when the group outgrew the little school in Church Street. In January 1922 the school was allowed to educate pupils up to St 8. The school anthem was written by Afrikaans poet SJ Pretorius and is still sung by pupils of the High School. In January 1971 the High School and Primary School were separated.
|Cave on the farm Soetfontein
Some 5km outside Postmasburg, on the farm Soetfontein, one will find a dolomite cave of more than 300 m² with a 3m high roof. The rain filters out through a hole in one corner. With the exception of the stairs at the entrance, the cave is unspoilt. Dolomite caves are fairly common, because of the solubility of the stone. The size of this specific cave, however, is quite exceptional. To view phone Soetfontein 053 313 1949